Students who are not able to complete their degree requirements before the program end date listed on their I-20 must request an F-1 Extension by clicking the button at the end of this page. Instructions for submitting the extension request are outlined below. Once the I-20 has been processed, the student will be notified by email.
Extension Eligibility Guidelines:
- Students must have maintained their legal status on a continued basis
- The extension request must be supported by “compelling academic or medical reasons.”
- The application for extension must be submitted to UFIC within a 90-day period prior to the expiration of the current I-20.
- Extensions are granted for a maximum of one year at a time. If additional time is needed, a second request may be submitted at a future date.
- F-2 dependent extensions are granted at the same time as extensions for the primary F-1.