Hurricane Season 2022
The Hurricane Season is from June 1st to November 30th. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) predictions are available at https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/.
We therefore want to share information with you regarding your safety, resources, and letting us know if you evacuate from your local U.S. home address.
What International Students Should Do:
- Students and their accompanying dependents (if any) should follow the instructions of state, local and tribal officials, including any instructions to shelter in place or evacuate.
- If ordered to evacuate, students should not return until they are told by local officials that it is safe to do so.
- International students must remain in contact with their school (Designated School Official) and inform of their emergency plans.
- International students must also continue to take all necessary actions to maintain their student status, to the extent possible under the circumstances, including keeping necessary documents in a safe, secure place and hand-carrying them should they need to evacuate. Secure your immigration documents in a waterproof bag and keep them with you at all times.
Local U.S. Home Address
All international students are required to provide UFIC with their most current physical home address in the U.S. Please make sure your address is up to date by completing an address update; instructions are available here: https://internationalcenter.ufl.edu/f-1-student/f-1-processes/report-change-address.
Evacuating? Complete the Travel Report
If you will need to evacuate during a tropical storm or hurricane, please complete and SUBMIT a Travel Report in the ISSS Portal. Each student on an F/J visa must complete the Travel Report, even if you will be with other international students from UF at the same location.
UF Hurricane Preparedness Guide
Before the Storm:
- Ensure disaster supply kit is stocked – see list
- Inform family and friends of plan, especially if sheltering in a different location than residence
- Refill needed prescriptions
- Fuel vehicle/generators
- Remove or secure outside items such as potted plants, grills and lawn furniture
During the Storm
- Stay indoors and do not travel during the storm
- If winds become strong, stay away from doors and windows – take refuge in an interior room, closet or hallway
- Do NOT use candles, which can increase the risk of a fire
- Understand that emergency services may not be able to respond during the storm
As always, students and employees in need of immediate help should dial 911.
- Students may also contact U Matter We Care at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (352) 294-CARE (2273).
- Employees may also call the Employee Assistance Program at 833-306-0103 or go to eap.ufl.edu.
Please check the following links, which have important information and follow it for your safety.
- Maintain F and M Status in Emergency Events
- UF Housing
- UF Alerts
- UF HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS
- Emergency Supply Kit: https://updates.emergency.ufl.edu/what-to-do/emergency-supply-kit/
- CDC Guidance: Hurricanes, Severe Storms, and COVID-19
- More resources are available at: