This program provides travel support to teams of faculty who wish to develop new and innovative international partnerships for research, service learning and study abroad. In partnership with the UF Area Studies Center (African, Latin American, and European Studies), we will award one grant to each of those world areas. We will consider a fourth grant for a region not covered by one of the UF Area Studies Centers, or for a transnational project.
The program will fund teams representing new and multi-disciplinary collaborations that lead to one or more of the following objectives:
- explore or initiate a new multi-disciplinary research collaboration among multiple UF faculty members;
- result in expected scholarly outputs including joint journal articles, grant proposals, and conference presentations;
- lead to the development of new and innovative study abroad, service learning, or other educational opportunities .
- All regular UF faculty; Adjuncts and visiting faculty are not eligible
- Faculty team leader who will serve as liaison with the International Center and the sponsor Title VI Center (if applicable).
- Faculty will travel to the proposed destination.
- A follow-up trip report to document activities, connections to local organizations and individuals, cultural highlights of the trip, follow-up activities, and expected scholarly outputs.
Amount of Award
- The International Center awards one grant to each Area Study Center and one grant to another world region. Up to $12,000 total.
Application packages should include:
- A summary cover page with proposed destination, dates, list of participating faculty members and their department affiliations, and any local partners in host site
- A statement of 2-3 pages maximum, describing the proposed trip and the goals and expected outcomes. The statement should include an explanation of how the trip will contribute to the team’s collaborative research, the development of a service learning experience or study abroad program, or other outcomes that enhance UF’s international mission.
- Brief CVs (2 pages) for each faculty on team
- A budget detailing expected travel costs.
Application Submission Process
- UFIC will support one faculty team project to each of the three world regions covered by the UF Title VI Centers – Africa, Europe, and Latin America. Applications must be submitted to the respective Area Studies Directors. Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to consult with the Center Directors as well as OGRE staff as they plan their proposal.
- Applications for another world region (e.g., Asia, the Middle East) should be submitted directly to OGRE. Prospective applicants are strongly encourage to consult Sandra Russo as they plan their proposals.
- To be clear, applications are to be sent to either an Area Studies Director for the respective regions or to Dr. Sandra Russo at email@example.com by 14 January 2019.
Center for African Studies: Brenda Chalfin, Director -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Center for European Studies: Amie Kreppel, Director – email@example.com
Center for Latin American Studies: Phillip Williams, Director -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Office for Global Research Engagement: Sandra Russo, Director – email@example.com