Research Tutorials Abroad
In collaboration with the three Title VI area studies centers, this program provides an opportunity for UF faculty to take undergraduate students to their international field site for students to participate in their primary research project abroad. Faculty is invited to propose an area specific research project that is academically suited to engage 2-4 undergraduate students in data collection for discovery and documentation for two to four weeks. All student researchers should be UF undergraduates and may be at any point in their UF career. The program will fund up to four tutorials, encompassing the countries represented in the three area studies centers as well as Asia.
- The award is open to all regular UF faculty; adjunct and visiting faculty are not eligible.
- Accompanying 2 - 4 undergraduate students to the proposed international destination for an approximate three week experience
- Providing structure and guidance for students to conduct research alongside faculty
Amount of Award
The International Center awards one grant to each Area Studies Center and one grant for Asia. Up to $12,000 per RTA.
- Rolling applications accepted throughout the academic year.
Application package includes:
- A 1-2 page proposal, outlining the anticipated research project and how students would get involved with it. The proposal should provide opportunities in places that are not likely to be feasible with a traditional study abroad program.
- A proposed budget for the visit.
Application Submission Process
- UFIC will support one RTA for each of the Area Studies Centers. (The centers may also conduct their own RTA award process.) Applications must be submitted to the respective Area Studies Center Directors. Faculty are encouraged to consult with the Center Directors as well as Susanne Hill as they plan their proposed RTA.
- UFIC will also support one RTA for another region of the world, e.g., Asia, Middle East. Applications for another world region should be submitted directly to Susanne Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org
UFIC: Susanne Hill, Executive Director – email@example.com
Center for African Studies: Brenda Chalfin, Director – firstname.lastname@example.org
Center for European Studies: Amie Kreppel, Director – email@example.com
Center for Latin American Studies: Phillip Williams, Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org