School for International Training (SIT) Faculty Seminars Abroad
The University of Florida International Center will fund up to four faculty members to participate in one of the Faculty Seminars Abroad programs organized by the School of International Training (SIT). The grant covers the full cost of the seminar (~$3,000) which includes accommodations breakfast, some meals and airport transfers. The faculty member will be responsible for the cost of airfare and any other travel costs.
Each summer SIT offers seminars in different locations on different issues. The seminars offer intensive in-depth engagement with a select topic through lectures, site visits, and connections to local academics, researchers, and other local experts.
Seminar participants will:
- Engage with in-country academics, researchers, and other local experts, as well as peers from other US institutions.
- Become immersed in the seminar’s topic and the culture of the host country.
- Benefit from SIT’s broad network of resources in-country as well as SIT’s dynamic and experienced program faculty leaders.
- Be able to apply new knowledge and expertise to professional work and courses.
2020 SIT Faculty Seminars Abroad:
- Integrating Experiential Learning into Faculty-Led Programs Abroad:
Dates: January 5–14, 2020
Location: Amman, Jordan
Topics of Inquiry: Examine best practices in experiential learning for study abroad programs and build skills to ensure effective curriculum integration, design impactful programs, and navigate common challenges. Learn firsthand about SIT’s approach to field-based learning and consider how experiential pedagogy can enhance students’ experiences on faculty-led programs abroad.
We are currently accepting applications for this seminar. Admission is on a rolling basis, and the final application deadline is October 1, 2019.
- Africa Rising: Hip-Hop, Politics, and Religion in Senegal
Dates: June 2020 (exact dates TBD)
Location: Dakar, Senegal
Topics of Inquiry: Explore the vitality, resilience, and global breadth of contemporary African and African diaspora communities. Examine hip-hop and urban cultures as decolonial voices that constantly engage the limits of coloniality, global capitalism, religious pluralism, and local political realities.
Additional program and application information will be available for this seminar in summer 2019.
Click here for additional information about these seminars.
Eligibility and Program Requirements: Faculty
- All regular UF faculty teaching in disciplines related to the above seminars are eligible to apply. Adjuncts and visiting faculty are not eligible. Funding decisions are based on the relevance of the seminar’s focus to the applicant’s academic field, and the overall fit with teaching and research interests. We seek applicants who will derive significant professional benefits from this program.
- Must be able to travel and participate in the entire seminar program.
Amount of Award
- UFIC will pay the full program fee of approximately $3,000 directly to SIT on behalf of successful applicants.
- Proposals for Integrating Experiential Learning into Faculty-Led Programs Abroad -- September 15, 2019, Application due to International Center
- Other January 31, 2020, Applications due to School for International Training (SIT)
How to Apply
- Applicants should first complete the SIT online application form
- To apply for UFIC support submit an electronic copy of your SIT application (either in PDF or Word format), along with a brief cover letter explaining how you expect participation in the program to enhance your own scholarship or teaching as well as UF’s international mission. Applications should be submitted to Julie Fesenmaier via email: email@example.com.
- Office for Global Research Engagement will make funding decisions based on the fit of faculty’s research and teaching activities to the proposed seminar. UFIC funding is contingent on admission to the SIT seminar.
- More information about SIT Faculty Seminars Abroad at https://studyabroad.sit.edu/campus-advisors-and-faculty/sit-faculty-seminars-abroad/
- Contact SIT staff at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Julie Fesenmaier, Associate Director, Office for Global Research Engagement, University of Florida International Center E: email@example.com T: 352-273-1521