For years, academic scholarship has not been bound to the geographic border of our campus. The scholarly outputs of UF researchers have a global impact, as the research community outside of UF influences us. Undeniably, research with an international focus has a more targeted effect on our faculty and students.
- Working with researchers in other countries will add value through their contribution to greater diversity in scientific knowledge and ideas. Data support that researchers who collaborate internationally are cited more frequently (Smith, et. al. 2014).*
- International research will extend our opportunities to apply for funding outside of the US. Whether independently or in an international collaboration, an international focus will provide access to a larger set of funding programs.
- Working internationally, provides access to unique study sites and populations leading to innovation and discovery.
- Collaborating with international faculty provides access to facilities and resources not available on campus.
- An international focus enables a greater global perspective; and equally important, allows us to better understand how our research translates outside of the US.
- Increase our awareness of how disciplines are practiced in other countries.
- Attract students from undergraduates to post-doctoral fellows from abroad.
- By extending the international focus to the classroom, we can contribute to students’ global competencies as we prepare them for a multicultural world and global economy.
- Advance UF’s international ranking and global presence.
- Provide new and creative opportunities for travel.
* Smith MJ, Weinberger C, Bruna EM, Allesina S (2014) The Scientific Impact of Nations: Journal Placement and Citation Performance. PLoS ONE 9(10): e109195. doi:10.1371/journal.pone