Why International Research?
Why Promote International Research?
For years, academic scholarship has not been bound to the geographic border of our campus. The scholarly outputs of UF researchers have a global impact; and likewise, the research community outside of UF influences us. Undeniably, research with an international focus has a targeted effect on our faculty and students. How?
Goals for International Research Partnerships
- Working with researchers in other countries will add value through their contribution to greater diversity in scientific knowledge and ideas. Data support that researchers who collaborate internationally are cited more frequently.*
- International research collaboration fosters global innovation and competitiveness.**
- International research will extend our opportunities to apply for funding outside of the US. Whether independently or in an international collaboration, an international focus will provide access to a larger set of funding programs.
- Working internationally, provides access to unique study sites and populations leading to innovation and discovery.
- Collaborating with international faculty provides access to facilities and resources not available on campus.
- An international focus enables a greater global perspective and allows us to understand how our research translates outside of the US.
- Increase our awareness of how disciplines are practiced in other countries.
- Attract students from undergraduates to post-doctoral fellows from abroad.
- By extending the international focus to the classroom, we can contribute to students’ global competencies as we prepare them for a multicultural world and global economy.
- Advance UF’s international ranking and global presence.
* Smith MJ, Weinberger C, Bruna EM, Allesina S (2014) The Scientific Impact of Nations: Journal Placement and Citation Performance. PLoS ONE 9(10): e109195. doi:10.1371/journal.pone
** Glänzel, W. (2001). National Characteristics in International Scientific Co-authorship Relations. Scientometrics 51(1), 69-115.