SAS collaborates with faculty and international partners to prepare a budget for each study abroad program and guides faculty on how to financially prepare for travel. If you are interested in learning more about what costs need to budgeted and determine the study abroad program fee, please refer to Chapter 4 of our Guide to Study Abroad Program Development.

Outlined below are some of the most common travel and financial questions the SAS team receives. Please review this information and contact us if you have any further questions.

Program Fee/Budget: The program budget prepared by the International Center (based on the cost sheet that faculty provides) will contain both program expenses, faculty costs and administrative fees and taxes. Once the budget is finalized, the program fee is established and can be published. The program fee will not be changed once it has been published.

  1. What is included in the program budget?
    ​Below is a general list of what is included in program budgets. For a full description of each, please refer to Chapter 4 of the Guide to Study Abroad Program Development.
    1. Student Expenses (host university tuition and fees (if applicable), lodging, in-country travel, health insurance etc.)
    2. Faculty Salaries
    3. Faculty Expenses (airfare, lodging, per diem, health insurance, baggage fees etc.)
    4. Teaching Assistants (if needed)
    5. Fixed Program or Group Cost (guest lecturers, classroom rental, group transportation, any ‘one cost for all’ expenditures)
    6. UFIC fees and taxes
  2. How much am I paid to teach abroad? Can I take a reduced teaching salary in order to lower the program fee?
    1. The salary for 9-month faculty is based on several factors including rank, number of teaching credits, and length of program. An administrative supplement is also budgeted to compensate faculty for recruitment efforts, risk management abroad, accounting of program expenses, i.e. everything outside of teaching.  
    2. Twelve-month faculty and faculty receiving other funding during the term of study abroad will require the college dean’s approval for additional compensation. The HR-600 “Request for Approval of Additional University Employment and State of Florida Employment (HR-600)” will be initiated by UFIC and sent to your department for approval. The current salaries offered to faculty teaching abroad are as follows:
Assistant Professor $6,800
3 credits
2nd course
Associate Professor  $7,400
3 credits
2nd course
Full Professor  $8,100
3 credits
2nd course
Lecturer $5,800
3 credits
2nd course
Senior Lecturer  $6,300
3 credits
2nd course
Master Lecturer $6,800
3 credits
2nd course
  1. Salary will be paid in a lump sum (as OPS) on the UF “payday” of your program start date, but no earlier than the first “payday” of the term. 
  1. Can I make changes to the budget once the program fee has been published?
    Generally, once the program fee has been published, we cannot change it. There might be extraordinary circumstances when we will be able to lower the program fee, but these cases are rare.
  2. Can I have a TA accompany me on the program?
    Based on program enrollment, a teaching assistant may be budgeted. The budget can include a stipend per UFIC guidelines along with comparable travel expenses as faculty. For budget and risk management purposes, UFIC recommends one faculty per 10-14 students with an added TA for 15 or more students.

Working with Providers/ Vendors

  1. Am I allowed to sign service contracts with providers (both in the US and abroad)?
    All contracts with providers need to be reviewed and signed by UFIC. You should not sign any service agreements but rather forward any contracts to UFIC for approval.
  2. Can I negotiate directly with a provider or should I keep UFIC involved in the planning?
    Throughout the program development process, you should always include either Nicole or Susanne on your communications with international partners or your selected program provider. This way, UFIC can assist in negotiating with the vendor/provider.
  3. How will providers / vendors be paid?
    All payments to vendors will be processed by UFIC’s Finance Manager, Susan Lukowe, upon receipt of an invoice.
  4. Does my international partner need to complete an IRS form?
    Foreign vendors will be required to complete the IRS form W8BENE if not currently in UF’s vendor file. Susan Lukowe can provide instructions to be sent to the foreign vendor.
  5. Approximately, how long does it take for UFIC to pay the vendor?
    Between 2-4 weeks under normal circumstances

Travel Preparation: Faculty are first required to complete a Faculty Agreement that is emailed approximately 60 days prior to the start of the program. Once this faculty agreement is signed and returned to UFIC, you may begin planning for travel.

  1. Do I arrange my own airfare, or is it done by UFIC? How should I pay for airfare?
    Faculty will arrange their own airfare. Airline tickets should be purchased on their academic department’s PCard using UFIC’s chartfield string. Please contact Susan Lukowe ( for the chartfield number. Please do not use your personal credit card when booking your airfare.  
  2. As faculty director, when can I arrive/leave my host country in accordance with what is included in the budget? What if I want to extend my time for personal/professional reasons?
    UFIC will allow for faculty to arrive 1 or 2 days prior to the start of the program to make any last onsite arrangements before students arrive. You are welcome to stay in country upon completion of the program, but at your own expense. UFIC will ask for a comparison of airfares (original program dates vs. different end date) and will reimburse the fee of a flight for the original program dates in the budget.
  3. Can I bring my family with me for the duration of the program?
    1. Faculty members can choose to take family members such as spouses, partners and or children abroad with them. It is important to note that family members cannot interfere with the safe and timely delivery of the program. Please note that the university is in no way responsible for family members while abroad. Faculty will need to make sure that under-aged children have child care while faculty is engaged in program activities.
    2. UFIC will not be able to pay for additional costs associated with accompanying family members (e.g. a larger apartment to house accompanying family, transportation, baggage fees, excursions, meals, childcare, etc.).
    3. Please notify us, if you plan for accompanying family. If you plan to bring small children, please let us know their age and how you plan for their care while leading the program.
  4. Can I request a travel cash advance for program expenses onsite
    Yes, a travel cash advance can be requested through MyUFL. In order to process the request, please see your department’s Travel Processor for further instruction and guidance.
  5. How do I request a program expense advance?
    You may request a Program Expense Advance 30 days prior to travel. Please make an appointment with Susan Lukowe ( to go over the necessary forms, obtain proper signatures and get the advance direct deposited into your account.

Reconciling Expenditures: While you are abroad, it is important to keep ALL receipts for payments you have made on behalf of the study abroad program and for reconciliation of your “travel cash advance” and “program expense advance”. Below are brief descriptions on how to reconcile expenditures, but you can find more detailed information here

  1. How do I submit my receipts?
    1. For a travel cash advance: Please submit all original receipts to your department travel processor upon return to process the expense report.
    2. For the program expense advance: All faculty must make an appointment with Susan Lukowe for reconciliation of funds. At this appointment, you will need to bring all original receipts from the program so we can account for each expense.
  2. What if I paid by credit card?
    In order to reconcile any credit card payments for your travel expenses or program expenses, you must provide an itemized receipt. Receipts for travel cash advances go to your department and any receipts for program expense advances will be processed by UFIC.