A student who has not been admitted to the University of Florida into a Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate degree program may be able to study as a non-degree student in either the F-1 or J-1 visa category.

F-1 Non-Degree Students

  • Certificate Program Students: To study as an F-1 student in a non-degree program, the certificate program must be full time and approved as one that qualifies for F-1 student enrollment. The program must lead to the attainment of a specific educational or professional objective and culminate in a certificate with the seal of the University of Florida. The application process is through the academic department.

J-1 Non-Degree Students:

Non-degree seeking students sponsored by a UF faculty to complete a required internship or take courses toward a degree being pursued abroad are also required to receive a DS-2019 issued by the University of Florida International Center (UFIC), depending on the situation:

  • Partner School Exchange Students: Students from an exchange partner institution interested in participating in the exchange for a specific semester will be required to obtain a J-1 visa in the non-degree category.
  • Other Non-Degree International Students: Foreign nationals who are seeking to engage in a prescribed course of study or participating under an active cooperative agreement (MOU) at the University of Florida will be required to obtain a J-1 visa in the non-degree category.