The UF International Center sponsors a large number of study abroad scholarships. In addition to the UFIC scholarships, many UF colleges and departments, as well as national organizations, offer study abroad scholarships. Please scroll below to browse the UFIC scholarship offerings for academic year, semester, and summer programs.
Note: Students who apply for UFIC scholarships will be considered for all scholarships for which they are eligible. However, students may not be awarded a UFIC scholarship more than twice during their time at UF. Check the UFIC Scholarship Application page for eligibility requirements.
Graduate Student Assistantships: Graduate students who receive a tuition waiver through an assistantship or a fellowship will not be able to apply this waiver to the study abroad program fee. For any other monetary scholarships, please check with the donor to find out if it can be used for a study abroad program.
UFIC Summer, Semester and Academic Year Scholarships
- UFIC Semester/Academic Year Scholarships – These scholarships are given to students studying for a semester or academic year on UF Sponsored or UF Approved programs. Students are selected based on their academic performance and extracurricular activities at UF. Students applying for Fall/Spring must be studying abroad for at least 90 days. Semester scholarships award $1,000, while Academic Year Scholarships award $2,000
- UFIC Summer Scholarships – These scholarships are awarded to students who are attending UF Sponsored or UF Approved summer programs. A faculty review committee selects awardees based on their academic performance and extracurricular activities at UF. Summer scholarships award $1,000 each.
- UF Sponsored Summer Short Term Scholarships – These scholarships are awarded to students who are attending UF sponsored summer programs that are less than 26 days. Each of the scholarships is for $500.
- UFIC Summer Merit Scholarships – These scholarships are awarded to students with a minimum of 3.5 GPA and are attending UF Sponsored or UF Approved Summer programs. Each of the scholarships is for $1,000.
- Wentworth Honors Scholarships – These scholarships are designated for Honors students. Each of the scholarships is for $1,000.
- The Sones Scholarship – The Sones Scholarship for study in France is made possible by a generous gift from Dr. Peter Sones and Mrs. Lindsey Sones. The aim of this scholarship is to provide an opportunity for UF students to earn academic credit towards their degree in an environment which also provides immersion in French culture and/or language. This unique scholarship is open to UF undergraduates a minimum of 2.5 GPA who seek to undertake courses in their major or minor through study abroad in France on a UF approved, credit-bearing, exchange, or provider program. Students who elect to participate in a credit-bearing research project in a French institute are also eligible to apply. Selected Sones Scholars will be awarded up to $5,000 for a semester program and up to $ 2500 for a summer program.
- Learning without Borders Study Abroad Scholarship – The Learning without Borders Study Abroad Scholarships are part of a broader initiative to increase study abroad opportunities for undergraduate students. Scholarships will be awarded to students who are Pell Grant recipients attending UF Sponsored or UF Approved summer programs. To be considered, eligible students should select “Pell Grant recipient” in the drop-down menu within the UFIC Summer Scholarship application. A review committee selects awardees based on their academic performance and extracurricular activities at UF. The summer 2018 scholarship award is $3,000 each.
- David and Becky Sammons Scholarship – Former UFIC Dean, Dr. David Sammons, and his wife Becky have established this scholarship to help students accomplish their education abroad goals. This scholarship is awarded to a student with a minimum of a 3.5 GPA, who is attending a UF Sponsored Summer program. The scholarship is for $1,000.
To apply for any of the UFIC Scholarships below, please click here.
In addition to the UFIC Scholarship, other funding opportunities are also available, which requires a separate application located in the links provided below:
- Daniel Sinclair Bredahl Scholarship - The Daniel Sinclair Bredahl scholarships are awarded annually to UF undergraduates on the basis of a demonstrated interest in international study, appropriateness of the chosen program to the student’s long-term goals and financial need. To make a contribution, click here.
- SAPA Scholarship - Four $500 scholarships and one $750 will be awarded to students studying abroad in Summer 2018.
- Kathleen Diamond Study-Abroad Scholarships - The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is pleased to announce that it will award up to three Kathleen Diamond Scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each, for study abroad in summer.
- The Brian and Kate Harfe International Exchange Award - This award provides need-based scholarships for University of Florida College of Liberal Arts and Sciences students studying abroad at one of the following institutions: University of Sydney, the University of Melbourne, Cardiff University, Wales,The University of Aberdeen, and Royal Holloway University of London.
- Fields International Scholarship for Summer Study Abroad - This award offers $2,000 of financial support for students in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to embark on a summer study abroad. Preference will be given to students who have not previously been abroad.
UF College and Departmental Study Abroad Scholarships
Several UF colleges and departments offer their own specific study abroad awards. Check with the department for your program or major to see if there are any scholarship opportunities for study abroad. Contact your college for more information even if they are not included on the list below. You can also use the Scholarship Search Engine to find both college-awarded and private scholarships available at the University of Florida.
|Department||Name of Award|
|Asian Studies||Alice M. Zirger|
|Classics||Center for Greek Studies|
|Center for European Studies||CES Study Abroad Scholarships|
|Center for Jewish Studies||Center for Jewish Studies|
|College Agriculture and Life Sciences||CALS Study Abroad Scholarships|
|College of Liberal Arts and Sciences||Kathleen Diamond Study-Abroad Scholarships|
|The Brian and Kate Harfe International Exchange Award|
|Fields International Scholarship for Summer Study Abroad|
|Business||WCBA Study Abroad Scholarships|
National Study Abroad Scholarships
In addition to UFIC and UF scholarships there are several nationally funded scholarships that students may be eligible to receive. Our office serves as a resource for reviewing student applications and offering feedback accordingly. Some of the more popular national scholarships for study abroad are listed below.
|Name of Scholarship||Eligibility|
|Benjamin A. Gilman (Summer 2018, Fall 2018 and Academic Year 2018-2019 Application Deadline: March 6, 2018)||Pell Grant recipients|
|Bridging Scholarships-Japan||Study in Japan|
|DAAD - Germany||Study or Research in Germany|
|Boren Scholarship/Fellowship||Boren Scholarship/Fellowship|
|Phi Kappa Phi||GPA: 3.75|
|Fulbright||See website for specifics|
|Rhodes Scholarships||See website for specifics|
|The Rotary Foundation||See website for specifics|
|Marshall Scholarships||See website for specifics|
|Fund For Education Abroad||See website for specifics|
|Shawn Carter Foundation-Gilman International Scholarship||See website for specifics|
|Whitaker International Program||Biomedical engineering|
|Study in East or Southeast Asia||See website for specifics|
|Go Overseas New Zealand||See website for specifics|
|ISA Sponsored Scholarships||See website for specifics|
|ISA Host University Scholarships||See website for specifics|
|Scott’s Cheap Flights||See website for specifics|
By no means are the scholarships that are listed here the only scholarships available for study abroad. Several Non-UF program providers have scholarships available to UF students for either merit or need. Students should contact their program provider for more details. Additionally, there are several resources for finding more scholarships for study abroad students. Please be sure to review the links below to view more scholarship resources:
- IIE – Study Abroad Funding
- StudyAbroad.com Scholarship Finder
- Diversity Abroad Scholarships
- GoAbroad Scholarship Directory