Class Attendance Abroad

While studying abroad, you are expected to attend and participate in all classes, assignments, labs, recitations, and field trips as scheduled by your program director and/or host institution. Skipping a class is considered very rude in some cultures, and may not be permitted on many study abroad programs. Please speak with your on-site director if you might need to miss class for any reason.


The exam periods at most institutions are structured differently from and usually more formal than what you may be accustomed to on campus. The official exam timetable is usually posted within a month prior to exams; you may not know your exam dates until late in the semester.  For this reason, you should purchase your plane ticket with the plan to remain in your host city until the day after your exam period finishes.  Do not expect or assume that your program will allow you to take your exams early.  If you leave your host country before completing your exams, you may fail your courses.

In truly unusual or exceptional circumstances, you may request special permission to have your exams proctored at UF after your return.  This must be approved by your on-site coordinator as well as a UF faculty member to act as a proctor. Speak with your Study Abroad Advisor if your term abroad overlaps with your next UF semester. Though not guaranteed, some exceptions can be made.  Generally speaking, the following situations ARE NOT considered exceptional: (1) needing to return early to attend a wedding, baby/bridal shower or similar celebration (2) needing to return early to start an internship (3) needing to return early to start a job or other related activity.

UF Grading Policy

Universities abroad have different grading systems than those in the United States.  Exchange program equivalents can be found here: Exchange Program Grade Conversions. The University of Florida relies upon the full grading scale listed by WES ( to determine other grades.

Pass/Fail Options

The University of Florida is required to post all overseas grades that a student receives as the actual letter grade.  This means that we cannot simply change a grade from a "€œC"€ to an "€œS"€ and so forth.  If you would like to receive pass/fail grades, you have two options:

  • Submit the required S/U Grade form to the UF Registrar for each relevant class before going abroad.
  • Ask the host institution to award you pass/fail instead of letter grades.

Under no circumstances will UFIC switch letter grades to pass/fail grades, irrespective of the grades you have actually received.

Grades from your Program

For students on UF Exchange, Non-UF and some UF Sponsored programs, we will need to receive an official transcript in order to transfer the credits from your program to your official UF Transcript.  According to UF policy and the Student Code of Conduct, all academic work you attempt anywhere must be reported to the UF Registrar, including courses taken while abroad.  Once UFIC receives an official transcript from the host school, your UFIC advisor will process the grades and send them to the Registrar’s office for further processing.  This will become part of your academic record at UF.


Make sure your transcript is sent to UFIC at the address below. If the transcript is sent to another office on campus, there will be a lengthy delay in the processing of your grades. Please keep in mind that UF will not receive your foreign transcript until at least a few weeks after your program ends. We do not receive transcripts from many programs until a few months after completion.  You should keep this in mind, particularly if you will be graduating or applying to programs/scholarships that require your full transcript including overseas work.  We may not be able to accommodate requests to obtain transcripts on short notice. 

All academic work you attempt anywhere - including all courses taken abroad - €”must be reported to UF.

Once UFIC receives your official transcript (original, sealed envelope) from the host school, your study abroad advisor will process your grades and send them to the Registrar for final processing. Please note that UFIC is unable to process unofficial transcripts, grade reports, or any document that has been previously opened.

  • Requesting a transcript
    Students needing a transcript of their grades should contact their host university upon arrival in order to learn the procedure for requesting transcripts.   Some universities abroad will require this request as soon as you arrive in order to make accommodations, but you should contact the international office upon arrival to learn their policies.  Do not hesitate to ask questions if you are unsure what their policy is.
  • How to send the transcript
    All transcripts should be sent directly to the International Center for processing. Please note that an opened or an unofficial transcript will not be accepted and you will need to request another transcript to be sent to our office. Sometimes the university will mail the transcript directly to the student to hand deliver.  If this happens, please deliver it immediately to our office in its original, sealed envelope. We are unable to process your transcript if you have already opened the envelope.Please have all transcripts sent in an original, sealed envelope to the address below:

UF Study Abroad Services
ATTN: Transcript Processing
170 Hub (PO Box 113225)
Gainesville, FL, USA 32611-3225

  • Receiving your grades
    Once the International Center receives your grades it may take several weeks for your grades to appear on your official UF record.  If you believe that your grades are taking longer to post than they should, please contact your Study Abroad Advisor to see if we have received your transcript.

For more information regarding the posting of your transcript and course equivalencies to your UF transcript, please click here.