1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 10oz round of Queso Fresco, crumbled
1 cup full fat milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus 1 Tbsp for oiling your hands
1 lb tapioca flour also known as tapioca starch
2 tsp kosher salt
Prepare the Dough:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Add the tapioca flour and the salt to a large bowl, whisk to combine and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the cheeses and the eggs and set aside.
4. Add the milk and the oil to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer on stove top over medium heat.
5. When the liquid simmers, remove the pan from heat, and immediately pour the hot liquid into the tapioca mixture and using a wooden spoon, stir to combine – the mixture will not be homogeneous, it’ll be gummy and clumpy. See step by step images above for reference.
6. Wait 5-10 minutes until the tapioca mixture is cool to touch, and only then add the cheese and egg mixture to the tapioca mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon, or your hands to combine. Now you should have a homogeneous mixture and it should come together as a ball. You’ll still see some white tapioca specks in the dough – don’t worry, that’s totally normal!
Roll the Little Balls:
Oil your hands, then scoop a Tbsp to 2Tbsp size portions, roll them into balls, and arrange them in a baking sheet approximately 2” apart from one another.
Bake until golden brown, approximately 30-35 minutes.