What is the Fulbright Scholar Program for Faculty?
The Fulbright Program was established in 1946 with the goal of expanding and strengthening relationships between the people of the United State and citizens of the world through teaching and research. The Fulbright Scholar Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and administered by The Institute of International Education’s Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES). The program offers nearly 470 teaching, research or combination teaching/research awards in over 125 countries every year.
Fulbright awards are highly prestigious, and provide excellent opportunities for scholarly and career development. The opportunity to live and work in a different country allows Fulbright scholars to build lifelong networks and connections with international colleagues and students that enrich their teaching and research. Faculty may apply for Fulbright awards at any stage of their career, and may combine a Fulbright experience with a sabbatical or other such award.
Fulbright strives to ensure that it reflects the diversity of U.S. society and societies abroad. Participation from traditionally underrepresented audiences in all grants, programs and other initiatives is encouraged.
The University of Florida Fulbright Faculty Support Program
To encourage and support UF faculty applications for Fulbright Scholar awards, the UF Provost’s Office in conjunction with the UF International Center is pleased to sponsor the UF Fulbright Faculty Support Program. This voluntary program guarantees that UF faculty who receive Fulbright Scholar awards will maintain their status as full-time (1.0 FTE) faculty, including their full UF base salary and full UF benefits, in addition to the Fulbright award benefits, during the tenure of their award. The faculty member’s college, in consultation with the department, will cover replacement teaching cost in cases where that is determined to be necessary. Colleges may request help from the Provost’s office to offset such costs as needed.
This program is only available for awards whose duration are for a semester or an academic year. It is does not include Fulbright Flex or Specialist awards.
- Must be a UF faculty member in good standing
- Faculty applicants must enroll with the International Center by completing and submitting the registration form before the application deadline of the Fulbright program to which they are applying.
- The faculty member’s department chair and the appropriate dean’s office must approve the faculty’s application
It is highly recommended that participants discuss their plans to apply for Fulbright with their Chair and Dean’s office before completing the form. The UF International Center will contact chairs and deans for their signature upon receipt of the enrollment form.
Upon their return to UF, successful applicants will be required to:
- Remain at the university for at least one academic year. Any exceptions must be approved in writing prior to the acceptance of the grant.
- Provide a report of their Fulbright activities to the UF International Center as well as to their department chair and college office.
- Agree to be available to serve as a periodic reviewer for UF student and scholar Fulbright applications for two years following the grant.
- Make one presentation on their experiences for the Fulbright Lecture Series in the year following the grant.
- Periodically help to promote Fulbright on campus.
- With advance notice, the International Center will be pleased to help with reviewing Fulbright application drafts by providing feedback on project statements and other materials. For more information on the program, or to request help and feedback in preparing your application, please contact Claire Anumba.
- For some tips from a UF faculty colleague on applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award see the video below:
- In Spring semesters the UF International Center sponsors a number of information sessions and other programs during “Fulbright awareness week”. For more information on these programs contact Claire Anumba.
The International Center works closely with the North Florida Chapter of the Fulbright Association. The Chapter provides Fulbright alumni and visiting Fulbrighters with diverse opportunities for networking, professional development, mentoring, cultural enrichment, and community service. For more information on the Chapter, contact Dr. Kevin Thompson.
Information on the US Student Fulbright programs is available here.
Fulbright Lecture Committee
The UF Fulbright Lecture Committee provides opportunities for returned Fulbright scholars to share their experiences and to network and exchange with other UF Fulbright scholars in promoting the programs on campus. For more information on the campus committee, please contact Claire Anumba.
List of Current Members:
- Debra Anderson - DAnderson@ufic.ufl.edu – UFIC Director, International Student Support Services & Chapter member
- Claire Anumba - email@example.com – UFIC, Special Projects Coordinator
- Mabel Cardec - MCardec@ufic.ufl.edu – UFIC, Communications Manager
- Kelly Medley - firstname.lastname@example.org External Scholarships and Fellowships Coordinator - Chair
- Charles Guy - email@example.com – IFAS (ret.) & Chapter member
- Luis Johnson – firstname.lastname@example.org – UFIC, Director, Exchange Visitor Services
- Edmund Kellerman - email@example.com – Dial Center (ret.)
- Gregory Kiker - firstname.lastname@example.org – IFAS/Engineering
- Rachel Koepsel – email@example.com – Veterinary Medicine
- Swapna Kumar - firstname.lastname@example.org - Communications /College of Education – Vice Chair
- Muthusami Kumaran- email@example.com – Family, Youth and Community Sciences
- Maeztu, Carlos - firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com – Chapter member
- Matt Mitterko - firstname.lastname@example.org – Graduate School
- Robert Rhee – email@example.com – Levin College of Law
- Karen Reed - ksreed@UFL.EDU – College of Nursing & Chapter member
- Maya Stanfield-Mazzi – firstname.lastname@example.org – School of Art + Art History
- Jonita Stepp-Greany - email@example.com – Chapter member