The module introduced concepts of global competence and a teaching approach that leads to improved critical thinking and problem solving from a global perspective. The module focused on appropriate technology use to connect classrooms across borders where students could ask questions to virtual guests about how elementary students learn in other world regions. The final student task was to design a global classroom pedagogical activity that included materials on one world region and integrated educational technology. The module concluded with pre-service teacher reflection on the potential of classrooms connecting across border through virtual exchange/globally networked learning environments.
- Compare and contrast educational systems in other countries with the U.S.
- Discover uses of educational technology and pedagogy to connect classrooms across borders
- Understand the importance of global competence and digital literacy for teacher education
- In-class Discussions
- Online Work (Readings, Web searches, Postings)
- In-class Skype sessions
- Global Teaching Materials Development
- Professional Development in Global Education (optional online and Face-to-Face global education conferences outside of class)