TEMPORARY Registration Accommodations due to Covid-19:
- Fall 2020: Please refer to Fall 2020 F1 Students FAQ
- Spring 2021: Please refer to Spring 2021 Online Course Registration Guidelines for F-1 International Students
- Spring 2021: Please refer to Spring 2021 F1 Students FAQ
|MINIMUM FULL TIME REQUIREMENTS*||Undergraduate Students||Graduate Students|
|Fall/Spring Semesters||12 credits each semester
||9 credits each semester
|Summer C||12 credits (or 6 credits Summer A and B each)
||6 credits (or 3 credits Summer A and B each)
|Summer B||6 credits
*This table is applicable to the semester of admission and any subsequent fall and spring semesters, except the final semester. In subsequent summer semesters, registration is not required unless the academic department requires registration, the student has an assistantship/fellowship,the student is authorized for CPT, or the student plans to graduate. Please refer to Final Semester Minimum Requirements table regarding final semester registration.
Online Enrollment Restrictions Applicable to All Students
Online refers to any course that is EDGE or offered principally through the use of “distance education, television, audio, or computer transmission including open broadcast, closed circuit, cable, microwave, or satellite, audio conferencing, or computer conferencing” that does not have any physical presence requirements in the course.
- During fall and spring semesters, students may not take only online credits. Up to three online credits can count towards the full time course load; the remainder of the credits that count towards the full-time course load must have physical presence requirements.
- During summer semesters, students may take any number of online credits except in the semester of admission (if admitted in summer) or the semester of graduation (if graduating in summer).
- In the final semester, if a student needs less than a full course load to satisfy graduation requirements, then the number of credits taken cannot be online only, online credits cannot outweigh physical presence credits, and online credits cannot exceed three.
Enrollment Requirements for Master’s Thesis and Doctoral Students
Students who are Master’s Thesis or Doctoral, and have finished all core and elective courses and only need research credits to complete their degree requirements may register for a minimum of three research credits each Fall/Spring semester and a minimum of two research credits each summer until they graduate. Graduate students with an assistantship/fellowship must maintain the minimum registration requirements set forth by the assistantship/fellowship contract.
Final Semester Minimum Registration Requirements
In the final semester, students are automatically allowed to register less than full time as indicated in the table below. No special authorization is required in this situation. If a student needs less than a full course load to satisfy graduation requirements, then the number of credits taken cannot be online only, online credits cannot outweigh physical presence credits, and online credits cannot exceed three.
|Final Semester Minimum Requirements||Undergraduate Students||Graduate Students||Graduate Business Students|
|Fall||1 credit||3 credits||2 credits|
|Spring||1 credit||3 credits||2 credits|
|Summer||1 credit||2 credits||1 credit|