|Diba Mani||Department of Applied Physiology & Kinesiology||College of Health and Human Performance|
|Partner Faculty||Department||Partner Institution|
|Various researchers around the world|
This section of APK 4115 gives students the opportunity to work in small groups to read and think critically about an assigned peer-reviewed original research paper on a relevant course
topic. Groups will be given the contact information of one of paper’s authors to reach out to to interview regarding the content of the paper (i.e. experimental design) and life in academia
abroad. The selected authors are either presently or previously located in a different country, with experience in higher education and research around the world.
- Content: Students identify, describe, and explain global and intercultural conditions and interdependencies, developing and expanding global perspectives.
- Critical thinking: Students analyze and interpret global and intercultural issues, comparing and contrasting higher education (i.e. enrollment, research ethics and funding, government impact) abroad in different countries and the United States.
- Communication: Students develop self-awareness and communicate effectively across cultures.
Asynchronous Activities: 1 hour (interview preparation with group, emailing researcher)
Local group activities: 2 hour (practice with group, discussion with group)
Individual Work: 10 hours (reading article, preparing slides, connecting to class content)
1. Lecture on effective presentations, scientific article interpretation, slide design, internationalization and examples, preview survey.
2. Given group assignment and paper, as well as contact information of researcher.
3. Students read paper, develop questions on the paper.
4. Students learn about country of origin of researcher, develop questions on culture and academia abroad.
5. Group contacts researcher, schedules videoconference.
6. Videoconference with researcher.
7. Finalize slides. Upload interview (typed up script, Q/A, video, audio, screenshot) to Canvas for class perusal.
8. Give live presentation to class. Some invite researcher to attend (when virtual presentations as with COVID-19 in SP 20).