The University of Florida International Center (UFIC) is the official program sponsor designated by the U.S. Department of State to administer J-1 exchange programs at the University.
Within the UFIC, the Exchange Visitor Services (EVS) unit is responsible for the following:
- Screening and selecting participants in J-1 exchange programs;
- Interpreting and implementing federal regulations that cover J-1 exchange programs;
- Administering the J-1 exchange program in a manner that fulfills UF’s objectives within federal guidelines;
- Collaborating with academic units to support J-1 exchange program success;
- And generally supporting and monitoring exchange visitors during their stay in the U.S.
The primary purpose of J-1 exchange programs is to foster cultural and educational exchange between Americans and foreign nationals, and to foster international collaborative teaching and research efforts. The various J-1 visa categories allow for work- and study-based programs, although no category focuses exclusively on employment.
This information on our site is intended for current and potential international students and scholars, as well as the UF administrators and faculty who support them. Please review it for information visa requirements, administrative and immigration processes, visitor resources, etc.
If you need further guidance or have other questions, feel free to contact us or visit anytime! We are here to help you!