The J-1 Scholars - Out of Country Form is to be used by J-1 visa holders in the categories of Research Scholar and Professor, Short-term Scholar and Student Intern when their SEVIS records are in Active status, and due to plans to be outside of the US. By the UF faculty supervisor and designated EVS departmental administrator signing the Out of Country form, this informs EVS the supervisor/department approve and are aware of the extended absence. If the J-1 Exchange Visitor is not UF-sponsored (UF did not issue form DS-2019) then the Exchange Visitor’s sponsor will have to provide advising and/or authorizations.

Instances when the Out of Country Authorization IS required

Category If gone more than… Maximum Out of Country duration
Research Scholar 30 days 90 days
Professor 30 days 90 days
Short-Term Scholar 15 days 30 days
Student Intern Any time outside of the US 15 days

Extenuating Circumstances

Extenuating circumstances which would require an exchange visitor to be outside of the US longer than the maximum durations above, can be considered on a case-by-case basis by contacting the processing EVS advisor.

  • Data collection/research/field work on behalf of UF
  • Death of a family member
  • Family member emergency
  • Medical procedures/health/recovery
  • Administrative processing for J-1 visa renewals

Instances when the Out of Country Authorization IS NOT required

  • If an exchange visitor in the categories of Research Scholar or Professor is outside the US for less than 30-days in agreement with the department.
  • If an exchange visitor in the category of Short-Term Scholar is outside the US for less than 15-days in agreement with the department.
  • If a J-1 Research Scholar or Professor is an instructor and will be outside of the US during a term in which the host department does not require the Exchange Visitor to teach, and will exit the US and will return to the US the following term to resume teaching responsibilities.
  • If a J-1 Research Scholar or Professor is ending their UF sponsored program as scheduled or early. If an Exchange Visitor will be ending the program early please refer to the Amending a J-1 Visitor’s Program.
  • If the exchange visitor is a dependent of a J-1 (J-2).

Responsibilities of the Exchange Visitor

During the absence, the J-1 Research Scholar or Professor must:

  • Continue to maintain appropriate J-1 status and comply with the regulations of the University of Florida and the Exchange Visitor Program.
  • Report to their department administrator and faculty host any changes in activities or dates as indicated in the Out of Country Request form or supervisor’s confirmation letter. Any updates will then need to be communicated to EVS. If an update to dates (extended time) is required, an update via an email from the UF host department/faculty host is sufficient. If the Out of Country authorization has expired, a new Out of Country form is required.
  • Maintain an active email address as reported in your MyUFL account.
  • Maintain appropriate health insurance at all times, including any J-2 dependents, for all absences from the UF program in which the SEVIS record remains Active. Health insurance cannot expire during any absence from UF.
  • Not leave J-2 dependents inside the US for extended absence periods. J-2 dependents should exit with the primary J-1.

Travel Checklist

To re-enter the US during an active UF-sponsored program, J visa holders will need:

  • A valid, original version DS-2019 (program end date must expire after your re-entry date).
  • A valid Travel Authorization on current original DS-2019:

The Travel Authorization can be obtained from any EVS staff member. Travel Authorizations are

valid for up to one year, or until your DS-2019 expires, whichever comes first. A valid Travel

Authorization may be used multiple times. If a J visa holder is stationed at an off-campus site, please

contact the department’s/center’s designated EVS departmental administrator for guidance on the long-distance process.

  • A valid passport (must be valid for at least 6-months from any entry date to the US).
  • A valid J visa:

Some exceptions apply. Automatic Revalidation can permit the use of an expired J visa for the purpose of re-entering the US (limitations and restrictions apply). More information can be obtained from EVS.

  • Information on any medications the J visa holder is carrying with them.
  • Check for any travel advisories.

Additional Travel Considerations

  • If traveling to a country other than the J visa holder’s country of citizenship, check to see if a visa will be required to enter the country of destination.
  • If a layover for travel is required, check to see if a transit visa is required for the country in which the layover or short-period of stay will take place.
  • Have supporting documents, such a J-1’s UF invitation or offer letter and support letter from a third party financial sponsor.
  • Make sure the passport is stamped J-1 or J-2, as appropriate, when passing through US Customs. Check your I-94 for the correct status and admission date upon each entry to the US. The I-94 number will change during each entry to the US. Some exceptions may apply such as re-entering the US by a Canadian land crossing or by sea (taking a cruise).
  • If taking a cruise ship, have your documents ready when you board the ship. Most cruise lines will check your documents prior to boarding the ship. Of course US Customs will check again when re-entering the US.
  • If a J visa holder exits the US during their grace period (30-days after the expiration of their DS-2019) they will not be able to re-enter on the current J status.
  • Inform credit card companies of travel to reduce any issues of your card being blocked or frozen due to suspected fraudulent activity.