Letter Request

To request a letter for Verification of Student Status, an Expense letter, or a letter of invitation for Graduation or a visit, use on of the following forms and submit to the respective email:

DS-2019 Requests

Review the instructions below and email your EVS advisor to request any of the following changes to your DS-2019.

Process Instructions
DS-2019 Extension Request

A DS-2019 Extension is for students who are not able to complete their degree requirements before the program end date listed on their DS-2019 Form. Requirements for an extension are listed below. Please request your extension at least 30 days prior to your current DS-2019 end date.

Extension Eligibility Guidelines:

  • Students must have maintained their legal status on a continued basis.
  • The extension request must be supported by “compelling academic or medical reasons.”
  • The application for extension must be submitted to UFIC within a 90-day period prior to the expiration of the current DS-2019.
  • Extensions are granted for a maximum of one year at a time.  If additional time is needed, a second request may be submitted at a future date.
  • J-2 dependent extensions are granted at the same time as extensions for the primary J-1.​

Documents Required:


Request a reprint of your DS-2019 and/or your dependent's DS-2019, for travel or if the DS-2019 has been damaged, lost, or stolen. If you are requesting a DS-2019 reprint for travel, please drop off your current DS-2019 by our office to process your Travel Signature.

Update Financial Information

Provide a letter or a document verifying any changes of funding.

Add a New Dependent

To add a new J-2 dependent, email your EVS advisor with the following:

  1. Scan of biographical information page of dependent’s passport
  2. Proof of active health insurance for your dependent
    • The insurance must begin on the day you submit your application, NOT on the date your dependents plan to arrive. This will mean you will have to buy insurance for time that your J-2 dependents are not yet in the country.
  3. EVS processing fee payment receipt for dependent
  4.  Sufficient proof of funding ($500/month per child, and $1,000/month for a spouse)

Remove a Dependent

If your J-2 dependent has left the United States and will not be returning and you wish to cancel their DS-2019, email your EVS advisor a copy of their exit flight itinerary or boarding pass.