If a J-1 exchange visitor is already present in the U.S. and wants to transfer from one U.S. institution to another, they must request their SEVIS record be transferred to the new institution.
- A SEVIS record can only be held by one U.S. institution at a time.
- A SEVIS record transfer cannot be authorized for exchange visitors who have obtained a 212(e) rule waiver.
- The new institution must be authorized to host the exchange visitor’s specific J-1 category.
- The new institution cannot issue the Form DS-2019 until after the SEVIS transfer release date.
- An exchange visitor’s SEVIS ID number will remain the same after the transfer.
- This means the exchange visitor’s SEVIS record will remain in Active status, even if their initial J visa has expired.
- This is also true for any J-2 dependents accompanying the exchange visitor.
- An exchange visitor must be in good standing and have maintained valid visa status to qualify for a SEVIS transfer.
The SEVIS transfer process for incoming J-1 exchange visitors is built on the standard invitation process. Departmental contacts should submit the invitation request at least 30 days prior to the intended SEVIS transfer release date/intended UF program state date.
Additional Required Documents
- EVS Transfer-In Form: This is required to confirm logistics of the SEVIS transfer request. Departmental contacts must include the completed form in the invitation request in the online portal.
- The exchange visitor must complete the top portion and sign the bottom of the page.
- The RO/ARO at the current non-UF U.S. institution must complete the “Current Program Sponsor Information.”
- Current Institution Forms: Some U.S. institutions require additional forms be completed by EVS before completing their part of the SEVIS transfer process. If this is applicable, the form(s) may be submitted to EVS after the invitation request is submitted in the online portal.
Exchange visitors should submit their request, with all required documents, to their EVS advisor.
- EVS Transfer-Out Form: This is required to confirm logistics of the SEVIS transfer request.
- The exchange visitor must complete the top portion.
- The UF departmental contact and faculty sponsor must sign the bottom portion. This signature is an acknowledgement, not a permission.
- The RO/ARO at the new U.S. institution must complete the “New Program Sponsor Information.”
- New Institution Invitation Letter: This is required to evaluate if the SEVIS transfer request can be approved. The letter must include a description of proposed program activities.
- New Institution Forms: Some U.S. institutions require additional forms be completed by EVS before completing their part of the SEVIS transfer process. If this is applicable, the form(s) must be included with other required documents.