This page provides a basic understanding of the eligibility requirements and Form DS-2019 preparation process for international students in the J-1 student non-degree visa category. These students may also be referred to as “non-degree-seeking students,” or more commonly, “non-degree students.”

Students in this category may participate in the following activities at UF:

  • Non-degree coursework at UF that may contribute toward a degree or other academic program at a foreign institution.
  • Required internship coursework that contributes toward a degree at a foreign institution.
  • Coursework done under an active cooperative agreement/Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between UF and a foreign institution.

NOTE: Non-degree students are required to pay the current non-resident UF tuition rate (unless otherwise specified through a cooperative agreement), and must be affiliated with UF as “non-degree students.”


To obtain a visa in the J-1 student non-degree category, students must:

  • Be engaged in a full-time course of study, including classroom instruction and/or research, unless otherwise specified through a relevant cooperative agreement.
  • Have sufficient English language skills to function in the academic program, and to navigate daily life in the U.S.
  • Have sponsorship from a UF faculty member or active participation in a cooperative agreement between UF and the student’s home institution.
  • Have sufficient funding for themselves and any J-2 dependents for the entire duration of the program.
    • This includes tuition, housing, and other living expenses.
    • Funding for cooperative agreement students may come from any source, including personal/family funds.
    • Funding for faculty-sponsored students must have a substantial amount (67% or more) come from non-personal funds, such as a home institution, employer, government grant, scholarship, or fellowship.

Cooperative Agreement/MOU (MOU) Non-Degree Non-Degree Students

UF may establish a cooperative agreement with foreign institutions to archive shared goals. For more information on types of cooperative agreements, see the UFIC international agreements page.

Faculty-Sponsored Non-Degree Students

UF faculty may choose to act as a sponsor for the duration of a student’s program at UF, even if UF does not have an active cooperative agreement with the student’s home institution. For more information, please contact the interested faculty member directly.. Eligibility for J-1 Visa sponsorship:

Application Process

Once a student is admitted to a non-degree program, the departmental contact in the UF host department must submit a J-1 Non-Degree Student Request through the UFIC ISSS online portal. After the request is submitted, the student will receive an email with instructions for completing their portion of the application.

The student must complete all required forms and questionnaires, provide a copy of their valid passport and proof of sufficient funding. If necessary, additional requirements and instructions will be provided in the application, and must be completed.

NOTE: UF host departments may require additional materials as part of the application process for a given non-degree program.

To initiate a request, click here:

New J-1 Non-Degree Student Request Form


Mailing of the Form DS-2019

The Form DS-2019 will be mailed to the student once their application is processed. It will be sent via express shipping for students outside the U.S., and standard USPS shipping for students inside the U.S. Students outside the U.S. will automatically receive a tracking number once their Form DS-2019 ships. The average shipping time for international shipments is 5-7 business days.

Once the student has the acceptance letter and Form DS-2019, they must pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee and schedule an appointment with the U.S. Consulate or Embassy for the visa application.

For more information about the Visa Process and U.S. Port of Entry, click here.